Confirmed Meningitis Case At Central CT State University
“Bacterial meningitis is potentially deadly”
December 3, 2018
A case of bacterial meningitis was confirmed at Central Connecticut State University. A student contracted the disease.
The student became seriously ill and the case was confirmed Monday morning, according a letter sent to the school community by President Zulma Toro.
Those who were in close personal contact with the student have been given preventative treatment.
"Although this is concerning news, we assure you that the University is working with health experts to ensure the safety of our campus community and are confident we have reached out to anyone who might be at risk for contracting the infection," Toro said.
The state Department of Health confirmed the student was infected with meningococcal meningitis, serogroup B, which isn't easily transmittable from person to person.
"We are working with CCSU officials and local health departments to investigate what
thus far is a single case of meningitis in a CCSU student and to ensure that people who have
come into close contact with the patient receive antibiotics as a precautionary measure," said DPH Commissioner Raul Pino.
Bacterial meningitis is potentially deadly, but most people recover with the proper medical treatment, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
People living in a close community setting like a college are at increased risk for bacterial meningitis because of close contact. Most of the bacteria that causes the disease is spread person-to-person, but certain strains such as Listeria monocytogenes can spread through food.
Read the full article “Confirmed Meningitis Case At Central CT State University”